- Q2 Financial Highlights:
- Fourth consecutive quarter of total revenue growth
- Total revenue was $25.7 million, up 17% from Q2 2018
- SaaS revenue of $18.3 million, rose 13% from Q2 2018 and 3% sequentially
- Gross profit was $15.9 million, compared with $11.5 million in Q2 2018
- Gross margin increased to 62% from 52% in Q2 2018
- Software and Service business continued positive momentum in 1H 2019
Culver City, Calif. – August 8, 2019 — NantHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ-GS: NH), a next-generation, evidence-based, personalized healthcare company, today reported financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2019.
“Our 2019 second quarter represents the fourth consecutive quarter of total revenue growth,” said Bob Petrou, Chief Financial Officer of NantHealth. “We generated strong topline growth and substantial gross margin improvement, which was largely driven by continued positive momentum in our Software and SaaS business, and the continuation of cost management throughout the company.”
Software and Services Highlights:
- Clinical Decision Support (Eviti):
- In Q2, at America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) Institute & Expo 2019, showcased Eviti® Connect, the company’s evidence-based treatment intelligence and web-based oncology decision support platform
- In Q2, as previously announced, signed and launched a three-year partnership with CareSource, a leading nonprofit multi-state health plan, expanding Eviti Connect’s total covered lives to over 25 million
- In Q2, released v7.8 with Smart Regimen Search, an enhancement that expedites treatment plan entry via intelligent regimen driven drug matches
- Payer Engagement (NaviNet):
- In Q2, at America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) Institute & Expo 2019, showcased NaviNet® Open, the company’s secure, multi-payer platform that lets payers and providers exchange vital administrative and clinical information
- In Q2, released a number of enhancements to the NaviNet Open Authorization application, which enable the company’s health plans to offer more configuration options. These include reducing the need for manual intervention via phone and fax processes and saving providers time managing their authorization requests, speeding up delivery of care
- In Q2, launched the NaviNet API Gateway, which allows the company’s partners to interact directly with its API’s in a standard method, reducing the reliance on custom integration methods and enabling payer flexibility for their provider networks
- Connected Care (DeviceConX):
- In Q2, at the 2019 HIMSS and Health 2.0 European Conference, participated in the first-ever U.S. Pavilion where the company showcased DeviceConX™, HBox® and VitalsConX to Europe’s eHealth decision makers
- In May, at Vitalis, the largest e-health event in Scandinavia, presented the company’s latest connected care solutions and sponsored the Intelligent Hospital Pavilion (IHP), where the company demonstrated its latest DeviceConX 15.5 medical device integration solution
- In August, entered into a memorandum of understanding with ASCOM to provide the company’s Denmark client increased visibility of their device parameters. The combined capabilities provide clinicians with increased visibility of intelligent alert notifications, driving more informed decisions at the point of care, closing digital information gaps and allowing for the best possible decisions throughout the hospital ecosystem
Sequencing and Molecular Analysis Highlights:
- In Q2, total GPS orders were 136, comprised of 86 GPS Cancer and 50 Liquid GPS
- In Q2, at the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) 2019 Annual Meeting, scientific teams from NantHealth and NantOmics presented:
- With collaborators from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), “Tumor mutation burden and PD-L1 expression in SDH/FH mutated solid tumors,” which support, for the first time, a potential therapeutic role for inhibition of PD-1/PD-L1 pathway in these tumors
- With collaborators from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), “Evidence for selective silencing of MHC-binding neoepitopes to avoid immune surveillance,” which can inform the development of effective immunotherapy and cancer vaccine strategies
- In Q2, at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2019 Annual Meeting, scientific teams from NantHealth and NantOmics presented:
- With collaborators from Duke University and the Sarcoma Center of Southern California, “Enhanced expression of human cyclin G1 (CCNG1) gene in metastatic cancer, a novel biomarker in development for CCNG1 inhibitor therapy,” which may position CCNG1 as a companion diagnostic for the Delta Rex-G drug
- A study entitled “The genomic and transcriptomic landscape of left versus right sided breast cancer in 410 cases,” which sheds new light on ESR1 signaling in right sided breast cancers
Business and Financial Highlights
For the 2019 second quarter, total net revenue was $25.7 million, compared with $22.0 million in the 2018 second quarter. Gross profit was $15.9 million, or 62% of total net revenue, compared with $11.5 million, or 52% of total net revenue, for the prior year period. Selling, general and administrative expenses declined to $15.2 million, from $18.4 million in 2018 second quarter. Research and development expenses decreased to $4.6 million from $5.9 million.
Financial results for the second quarter of 2019 included non-cash charges for loss from related party equity method investment of $2.2 million. Net loss from continuing operations, net of tax, was $14.7 million, or $0.13 per share, compared with $21.8 million, or $0.20 per share, for the 2018 second quarter. Net loss (including discontinued operations) was $14.7 million, or $0.13 per share, compared with $23.4 million, or $0.21 per share, for 2018 second quarter.
On a non-GAAP basis, net loss from continuing operations, which excludes the losses from our related party equity investment of $2.2 million, an intangible asset impairment charge of $4.0 million, and a gain from change in the fair value of the Bookings Commitment liability of $1.0 million, among other things, was $4.4 million, or $0.04 per share, down from $11.1 million, or $0.10 per share, for the second quarter of last year.
Conference Call Information and Forward-Looking Statements
Thursday, August 8, 2019, after market close, the company will host a conference call at 1:30 p.m. PT (4:30 p.m. ET) to review its results of operations for the second quarter ended June 30, 2019. The conference call will be available to interested parties by dialing 844-309-3709 from the U.S. or Canada, or 281-962-4864 from international locations, passcode 3494698. The call will be broadcast via the Internet at nanthealth.com. Listeners are encouraged to visit the website at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the scheduled presentation to register, download and install any necessary audio software. A playback of the call will be archived and accessible on the same website for at least three months.
Discussion during the conference call may include forward-looking statements regarding topics such as the company’s financial status and performance, regulatory and operational developments, and other comments the company may make about its future plans or prospects in response to questions from participants on the conference call.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This news release contains references to Non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted net loss and adjusted net loss per share, which are financial measures that are not prepared in conformity with United States generally accepted accounting principles (U.S. GAAP). The Company’s management believes that the presentation of Non-GAAP financial measures provides useful supplementary information regarding operational performance, because it enhances an investor’s overall understanding of the financial results for the Company’s core business. Additionally, it provides a basis for the comparison of the financial results for the Company’s core business between current, past and future periods. Other companies may define these measures in different ways. Non-GAAP financial measures should be considered only as a supplement to, and not as a substitute for or as a superior measure to, financial measures prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Non-GAAP per share numbers are calculated based on one class of common stock and do not incorporate the effects, if any, of using the two-class method.
About NantHealth, Inc.
NantHealth, a member of the NantWorks ecosystem of companies, provides leading solutions across the continuum of care for physicians, payors, patients and biopharmaceutical organizations. NantHealth enables the use of cutting edge data and technology towards the goals of empowering clinical decision support and improving patient outcomes. NantHealth’s comprehensive product portfolio combines the latest technology in payor/provider platforms that exchange information in near-real time (NaviNet and Eviti), connected care solutions that deliver medical device interoperability (DeviceConX) and molecular profiling services that combine comprehensive DNA & RNA tumor-normal profiling with pharmacogenomics analysis (GPS Cancer®). For more information, please visit nanthealth.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
This news release contains certain statements of a forward-looking nature relating to future events or future business performance. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the words “expects,” “anticipates,” “believes,” “intends,” “estimates,” “plans,” “will,” “outlook” and similar expressions. Forward-looking statements are based on management’s current plans, estimates, assumptions and projections, and speak only as of the date they are made. Risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: our ability to successfully integrate a complex learning system to address a wide range of healthcare issues; our ability to successfully amass the requisite data to achieve maximum network effects; appropriately allocating financial and human resources across a broad array of product and service offerings; raising additional capital as necessary to fund our operations; achieving significant commercial market acceptance for our sequencing and molecular analysis solutions; establish relationships with, key thought leaders or payers’ key decision makers in order to establish GPS Cancer as a standard of care for patients with cancer; our ability to grow the market for our Systems Infrastructure, and applications; successfully enhancing our Systems Infrastructure and applications to achieve market acceptance and keep pace with technological developments; customer concentration; competition; security breaches; bandwidth limitations; our ability to continue our relationship with NantOmics; our ability to obtain regulatory approvals; dependence upon senior management; the need to comply with and meet applicable laws and regulations; unexpected adverse events; clinical adoption and market acceptance of GPS Cancer; and anticipated cost savings. We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statement in light of new information or future events, except as otherwise required by law. Forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties, most of which are difficult to predict and are generally beyond our control. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements as a result of the impact of a number of factors, many of which are discussed in more detail in our reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
FINANCIAL TABLES FOLLOW